Wednesday, May 28, 2014

You never know ... A powerful story about my invocation at the Indy 500

I've received a lot of good feedback on my invocation at the Race of Sunday but this one just blew me away ...

"Hello Bishop Coyne:

I had to write to you about your invocation at the 500, which was incredible and much needed for me personally due to what I witnessed walking into the speedway that morning. Westboro Church was out front of the South Chute with absolutely horrible signs, no need to recap them, I'm certain you know their agenda. I was walking with my junior high school aged son and his best friend and had to try and answer their questions as to why they were there. The best I could come up with was something along the lines of that hate is like acid inside a person, we just brushed up against them a got a small burn, they feel that that 24 hours a day. The best thing to do is just pity them, because what they are saying is completely false. However, inside my head I wanted to walk over to them and give them a piece of my mind.

Inside the track, other people were talking about the scene as well. Then you spoke and began asking "can I get an amen". What I saw next was incredible. People of various countries, dialects, spiritual beliefs, opposing political views and any other difference you can name all became one loud voice, a positive voice in which no one was excluded. I know the protestors had to hear this. I don't know if that was something you had intended, but it was much appreciated."


2 comments:

Bishop Coyne on Facebook
Follow Bishop Coyne on Twitter
Follow Bishop Coyne on YouTube