Sunday, September 22, 2013

"A propos" of nothing as I head home to Indianapolis, flying over the “turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston ….”

Random thoughts from my wandering mind ...

On this first day of Autumn, Indiana is beautiful but nothing beats the autumn foliage and scenery in Northern New England.

Sorry to be leaving the land of Dunkin’ Donuts. In New England, you can’t drive a mile without seeing a DD on the corner.  Terminal A at Logan Airport has at least four DDs and only one Starblechs.

Heading home after attending Bishop Caggiano's installation in Bridgeport CT and a big party for my Mom. All of my siblings were at Mom's party as well as her surviving sibs. You gotta love family. My brother Danny is 60+ and still runs 13-15 miles at a time and is in great shape and is constantly trying to get me to run with him, Not gonna happen (whenever I even begin to think about running, I go lay down until that thought goes away).

On the sports front:

I wish the Boston Celtics (always my NBA #1 team) and Brad Stevens all the success in the world this year as they try and lose every game and snag a top pick. The only team in the East that could be worse could be the 76ers but that is only if the Celtics do not trade Rondo. 

In the meantime, I have adopted the Brooklyn Nets as my second favorite team.  Can’t wait to see KG headbutt a dent in the backboard stanchion before the first game.

Don’t feel bad for Brad Stevens, the former Butler coach and now coach of the Boston Celtics. There is a reason why he was given that big six-year contract.  It is going to take a while.  Just don’t mess it up, Brad, by WINNING A LOT OF GAMES THIS YEAR! Do you hear me! Just lose, baby, lose.

Those who know me know that I am a Boston Red Sox “acquaintance,” not a fan. I stopped being a fan (meaning a “fanatic”) in 1986 (it was not Bill Buckner’s fault ... really).  Still, I do enjoy following them (except for last year) and I am looking forward to following the Sox in this years playoffs. I just won’t lose any sleep over them if they lose (unlike I do for my Patriots).

Not worried (yet) about the Patriots as we move further into the season. They are 2-0 and as the "Big Tuna" once said, “You are what your record says you are.” Still, the Broncos look real good.

Can’t quite figure out why the Colts made the trade with the Browns for Richardson unless they think they are real close to being a league powerhouse. Before Richardson, I figured them to be 8-8 this year (and “no” Colts fans I am not saying this to be a jerk) as they had a lot of lucky breaks last year and with the law of averages and a harder schedule I just thought they would not be as good as last year.  I don’t see how this trade changes that. Right now, they have an offensive line that has a lot injuries and Luck doesn’t have time to throw. Meanwhile, the defense is still not that good. So why trade a first round pick for a running back? Most NFL teams try and pick up running backs late first-round and into the second round. I know the guy was a #3 pick over-all but he really hasn’t been all that productive so far and if you have an offensive line that is banged up, who is going to block for him? I know, I know it may have something to do with the Stanford offense that Luck played in college and it’s reliance on big backs as one of the keys, but I still don’t think it was a good trade. If I’m proven wrong, good for the Colts. I’m just saying ….

I also had my Patriots as a 10-6, maybe 11-5 team this year.

On the video front: 

I truly enjoyed watching the “Eagles” (not the football team, the rock band) documentary on Showtime. My favorite moment was when Joe Walsh (the “no drug was too bad to try as I trash this hotel room better than Keith Moon ever could” Joe Walsh) went philosophical and said this:

"So much stuff just happened. You know, there's a philosopher who says, 'As you live your life, it appears to be anarchy and chaos, and random events, nonrelated events, smashing into each other and causing this situation or that situation, and then, this happens, and it's overwhelming, and it just looks like what in the world is going on. And later, when you look back at it, it looks like a finely crafted novel. But at the time, it don't.'"

I love that quote ... Who is this philosopher? Is it Joe? Is it some guy he met on a beach? Is it Joe just channeling?  Who knows? (It is even better on film.)

On other things:

I am working on my “Pope Francis Interview” post, just taking my time. Hope to get it posted within the next few days. In the meantime, I am truly appalled at how many people are posting comments on various blogs that start with the phrase, “I am a faithful Catholic but ...” and then proceed to launch into the worse “ad hominem” remarks against Pope Francis one could imagine.  Somehow “faithful Catholic” and these kinds of comments don’t quite go together when directed towards anyone let alone the Pope.  Disagree - yes. Disrespect, disparage, malign - no.

By the way, if I was someone who was looking to join a religion or come back to the Catholic faith and I saw the way we Catholics are treating each other in the blogosphere and elsewhere, I think I ‘d probably go somewhere else.

Oops, the nice flight attendant is telling me it’s time to turn my laptop off….

1 comment:

  1. JMJ

    Dear Bishop,

    Safe FLIGHT and BLESSINGS!

    In Mary,
    Meryl

    ReplyDelete

Bishop Coyne on Facebook
Follow Bishop Coyne on Twitter
Follow Bishop Coyne on YouTube