Saturday, January 7, 2012

Not a Top Ten List but ... My favorite blogs, websites, etc. (Pt. 1)

As this time of the year lends itself to "top ten lists," I offer (albeit a little late) the following lists of blogs, podcasts, and internet sites that I often visit.  I find these links for the most part informative, helpful, and welcome efforts that seek to promote the heart of the Church's life and teaching. I plan on doing so over a number of postings so as to not avoid a lengthy post.  Suffice it to say, that the opinions expressed at these links are those of the author and not necessarily my own.  So with that:

The first, of course, is "The Vatican Today," the new website out of the Holy See that offers news and publications in English.  While I wish the posting of church documents, publications, and press releases in English was done in a quicker manner, you can't find a better source anywhere else.  On a good note, though, the release today of the "pastoral note"on the upcoming Holy Year in eight languages is wonderful to see.

The USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) website offers a whole host of great resources for Catholics.  The posting of daily Mass readings as well as a video daily reflection on the readings are marvelous.  There are all kinds of resources for information on church teaching, USCCB positions and programs, and other things Catholic.  The USCCB Media Blog is a great read, especially the postings by Sr. Mary Ann Walsh.  My only complaint is that I wish they would post more.

In terms of helpful resources and reflections for the Sunday homily, there is Fr. Robert Barron's weekly sermons at Word on Fire. Fr. Barron is by far the most present Catholic priest on the internet.  His YouTube postings, writings, and videos are all clear and insightful.  You can also subscribe to his sermons at iTunes and his own website.

One site that I often visit in working with the Greek text of the New Testament is Misselbrook's Musings.  Beginning way back in 1999, Peter Misselbrook has published an incredible amount of work on the Greek NT.  All of this is laid out in a very concise and helpful way for the student and reader of Scripture.  I love this site!  In addition, his weekly "Thought for the Week" is a wonderful read.

My good friend Fr. Mark Hunt of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and Holy Family University publishes an informative exegesis and reflection on the Sunday readings at "Words of the Word."  My only complaint is that he usually publishes late on Saturday so it is too late for me to "poach" my Sunday homily from his.

Then, of course, there is Whispers in the Loggia, Rocco Palmo's blog concerning all things Catholic.  Mr. Palmo is always respectful and careful in his postings.  He is not a rumormonger in that he does not publish anything until it has been vetted as the truth.  While I find his "news" postings to be timely ("How did he get that?") and informative, I also enjoy his personal reflections on his life as a Catholic.

I visit the New Advent website everyday.  It's kind of like walking by a big Catholic community bulletin board.  The links are there for you to read and make your own choices.  There are postings that I visit, there are postings that I don't.  There are things I agree with and things that I don't.  There are postings that are sublime and some that are just strange weird but I always find at least one or two links a day that are a good read.

(End of Part 1)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bishop Coyne, for expanding my knowledge of the choices available. Some of them, like New Advent, are familiar, while some of them are new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Excellency,

    You may want to consider visiting ThePulp.it! It collects the best Punditry in the Catholic blogosphere daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bishop Coyne. Here in Florida I am surrounded by Baptists who are always asking me "where is that in the Bible?". Reliable sources of Catholic information are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canterbury Tales is on the top of my list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Bishop Coyne on Facebook
Follow Bishop Coyne on Twitter
Follow Bishop Coyne on YouTube