Saturday, March 5, 2011

Settling in.

I cannot begin to express the gratitude that I feel towards all those who worked so hard to plan, prepare, and carry out both my ordination and the events surrounding it. First of all, the ordination itself was a beautiful ceremony on so many levels. This is not just me speaking. So many people, especially my family and friends from Boston, have been absolutely effusive in their comments about the music, the service, Archbishop Buechlein's presiding and preaching, and the obvious care given to the smallest of details within the liturgy.  In addition, the hospitality and friendliness shown to all those who came from Boston and elsewhere, the food, and the accommodations were first rate. Again, I cannot thank Archbishop Buechlein, his staff, and all the volunteers enough. Thank you, thank you.

I'm starting to get around Indianapolis. With all of the moving an unpacking you can well imagine that I have had to make a lot of trips to the Home Depot (found the one out on Southport Rd) and other stops at various stores to buy laundry supplies, sheets for the bed and all the things that one needs to get settled in a new home. Yesterday, I was able to get some laundry done (had to learn how to use a different washer and dryer than the one I was used to) and began to write some thank you notes. That duty will certainly take a while! But lest you think it's all been work, I've been able to get out and about with some new as well as old friends. Thursday night found me at the Vogue Theater up in Broad Ripple for a concert by the group Gaelic Storm. I am definitely going to have to make a return visit to the area as there was so much to do and see. There also appears to be a couple of good concerts coming up at the Vogue as well. Last night (Friday) was a whole different scene but just as a good a time. I was invited to attend the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital fundraiser at the J W Marriott. I was able to meet a lot of great people, meet both Peyton and Archie Manning, and sit down for a delicious meal and fine entertainment, all for a good cause.

So I am beginning to feel a little bit more at home everyday.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Bishop Coyne. I'm a parishioner of St. Monica parish and a fellow blogger! I'd encourage you to visit the Fountain Square area of Indpls as well -- great restaurants, antique shops, art galleries, music and dancing on weekend nights. Churches in the area include St. Patrick and Holy Rosary. Enjoy Indianapolis and thank for your service to the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bishop Coyne-- My name is Bernard Cissell (former diocesan seminarian and now beginning the application process for a religious order). Though I live in Chicago, I am very involved at my home parish of Saint Philip Neri; and, we are looking forward to a visit some Sunday (Fr. Carlton is waiting until you are "settled in" to invite you.

    I would encourage you to check the Irvington neighborhood on East Washington Street about 3 miles from downtown. Jockamo's Pizza (jockamopizza.com) and Legends (legendirvingtoncafe.com/)are two great restaurants there. It is similar to the Fountain Square neighborhood that the earlier poster described. Antique shops, new public library, other specialty shops, and a Starbucks.

    We are so glad to have your ministerial leadership in Indy along with +Daniel,osb. Keep up the great sense of humor. Know of my prayers for you and your ministry!

    La Paz de Cristo-
    Bernard Cissell (bdcissell@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rubbing elbows with the Colts...Peyton no less...this is a good sign.

    God bless you Bishop, you have been in my daily rosary since I believe it was ...January 14.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Indianapolis, Bishop Coyne! My name is Sarah Babbs; my family are parishoners at Holy Rosary (just a stone's throw from Lucas Oil Stadium!). I'm a transplant to Indy via the northeast as well (I grew up in Scranton PA), and I've found the people here in Indiana to be so hospitable and welcoming!

    I love that you have a blog, and that the Holy Father is encouraging priests to use the new media for reaching out to Catholics.
    I'm a fellow blogger; I write about Catholic family life at http://fumblingtowardgrace.wordpress.com/

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Bishop Coyne on Facebook
Follow Bishop Coyne on Twitter
Follow Bishop Coyne on YouTube