Friday, March 11, 2011

"Hoosiers"

In keeping with my having moved to the Hoosier state and it being high school basketball tournament time, I thought that I would center this week’s blog around quotes from the movie “Hoosiers,” the all time best sports movie ever made! (Aside from the DVD of the New England Patriots 2001-2 Super Bowl Season. “The kick is up and it’s … GOOD! The kick is good!!!!)  I think there is a lot of wisdom and personal synergy in “Hoosiers” for me … (quotes in italics)

- I think you'll find it's the exact same measurements as our gym back in Hickory. Yup, and they say Mass here the same way they do back in Boston.

- We're way past big speech time.  The ordination is over, time to get to work.  When Archbishop Buechlein said he was going to put me to work, he meant it.  Not that I’m complaining ….

- Ref: You need one more, coach. 
CoachMy team's on the floor!  The team’s on the floor; all of the priests, deacons, lay staff, religious, and volunteers are already on the floor and doing a good job.  I just got to plug myself in and try and not mess up the works. Wait! They don't need one more! I can stay right here in my office.

 - Strap, God wants you on the floor.  That’s kind of what Archbishop Buechlein said to me the other day, “Bishop Coyne, I don’t want you to be in this office too much.  I want you out in the archdiocese."  God wants you on the floor.  Fine by me.  Where’s my GPS? I’m there.  Just as soon as I get through all these Confirmations….

- Use the force, Jimmy. He’s talking about the Holy Spirit!  I’m sure of it! Praise the Lord!  Use the Spirit!  Yeah!

- Now, boys, don't get caught watching the paint dry – Hmmm.  Does this refer to the fact that my rooms still smell like paint?  Not that I’m complaining….

-Welcome to Indiana basketball. I was out to dinner the other night at a sports bar.  The Miami Heat were playing the L.A. Lakers.  It was like the NBA game of the month!  Was it on?  No!  Every TV in the place was tuned to an early round game of the Men’s Big Ten Basketball Tournament.  Every TV! And everyone was watching the game! No NBA!  Thank God I finally got cable. Welcome to Indiana basketball.

- Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with.  I don’t really have anything to say here.  It’s just my favorite quote from the movie.

- Leave the ball, will you, George? Got a text mail from the administrator of my former parish wanting to know when I would send him back my keys.  Sigh!  Why didn't he just say, “And don’t let the door hit you in the backside on the way out!”

Feel free to add your own favorite quote from the movie "Hoosiers."

19 comments:

  1. Your blog is so great! I am a parishioner at St. Simon the Apostle and reading your blog helps me remember God in the every day things. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you're in Colts territory now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, yes. The Colts are now my second favorite team

    ReplyDelete
  4. A man your age comes to a place like this, either he's running away from something or he has nowhere else to go. (Hoosiers Myra Fleenor)

    Welcome to Indy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quote! If if had to choose it would be "no where else to go" because Indy has been so wonderful to come to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “These players, a lot of other people didn't believe in them, but they believe in themselves. And that is all that matters.”
    (Bill Belichick NE Patriots Baby!)

    "I’ve found that prayers work best when you have big players.” (Knute Rockne of Notre Dame)

    "On this team, we’re all united in a common goal: to keep my job.” (Lou Holtz)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this boxer was nervous about his upcoming match. Talking to his priest and asks "Father, please pray for me in my upcoming match Friday night." The priest assured him he would and added "It would help my son if you boxed!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. "If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book we're gonna be winners."

    --Coach Norman Dale

    From the perspective of the world, the Church may appear to be on the ropes a good bit of the time. But we can hold our heads up high knowing in faith that the end of the story has already been written (and it's an ending that we'll like). We just have to, well, you know, trust in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and by the way, the town where the true story that the movie is based on is Milan, IN--in the heart of the Batesville Deanery. St. Charles Borromeo Parish--appropriately enough--is there.

    Just don't pronounce the name of the town like the way we would the city in northern Italy. It's pronounced MIL-an.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I figure it's time I start playin' ball again....One more thing, coach stays, I stay. Coach goes, I go."

    Reminds me a lot of apostolic succession - priesthood goes, Eucharist goes, priesthood stays, the Eucharist stays.

    Great blog Bishop, and welcome again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the blog..sounds like you are really adjusting to your new surroundings..we are of course still missing you, but the parish is going along well..poor Fr chris has sciatica..i gave him the name of a good chiropractor..most all the snow is now gone..that was fast considering..wishing you happiness and a great spring..looking forward to your podcasts and blog..fondly, the LYDON FAMILY

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a lifelong Hoosier, I am sorry to say that I have only seen the movie a couple of times. I do love Gene Hackman movies, though. A trip to Knightstown might be of interest to you. You can see the gym where they filmed the movie. Knightstown Intermediate School has a nice display of props from the movie. Welcome to Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book we're gonna be winners."
    - Coach Norman Dale

    That just about says it all, doesn't it? Welcome to Indiana Bishop Coyne!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "It's bad enough we have to play in this cracker box you call a gym, but we shouldn't have to play against those gorillas!" Indiana may seem like a cracker box after coming from Boston, and WE ARE gorillas (at least spiritually). This scene was filmed in Saint Philip Neri's gym on Rural Street.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coach Dale: "What's gotten into you?"
    Strap Purl: "The Lord! I can feel His strength!"
    Coach Dale: "Well... keep His strength in the dribble alright?"

    Would that we all will keep His strength in all we do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Believe it or not, I'm a Hoosier who hasn't seen the movie Hoosiers, but...

    I agree with "You know, you're in Colts territory now..."

    Welcome to the Archdiocese Bishop Coyne, beautiful ordination Mass!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One more quote just for you...

    "I'll make it" Jimmy, in the time out before he drains the shot.

    God Bless and you will make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the movie Hoosiers, so I really loved this blog. The movie always reminds me of my late Father. He took my sister and me to the movies one Friday night when I was in 9th grade -- not the easiest time to be out with your Dad when everyone else is on a date. To make matters worse, my Dad shouted out, "nice pick and roll!" during the middle of the movie. I was mortified at the time, but now it's one of my happiest memories. Gotta say, though, your favorite quote is pretty random. Good luck in your new post. -- Siobhan McGill Abell

    ReplyDelete
  19. Taking a break from my bracket ... If you're visiting my neighborhood again, as a sports fan, I recommend a stop at Plump's Last Shot, on Cornell near the Monon.

    Here's a look at the real-life Hoosiers today in a recent edition of my neighbor's paper:

    http://www.broadripplegazette.com/images/front_pages/fp_v08n05.htm

    If you dig into the history, the movie of course takes artistic license with the facts. (Who was one of the runners-up in the tournament the year before?)

    Glad to meet you at the March 2 reception. I've made the transition from Chicago, and it looks like you are already far on your way.
    --Terry, 1st floor

    ReplyDelete

Bishop Coyne on Facebook
Follow Bishop Coyne on Twitter
Follow Bishop Coyne on YouTube